Pavilion – Regent
Opened on 17th March 1933 by Thomas Angear and seating 327, the Pavilion had a commanding position right next to the river and the towns main bridge. It must not be forgotten that when built, Looe was a busy fishing port. The entrance was facing the side of the bridge and as a result lost some of its presence. The proscenium was 18′ wide.
The cinema was taken over by Edwin Pearn 6th April 1939 and the name changed to Regent, the sound system was Gyrotone. There were also modifications to the facade. With the passing of Mr Pearn in 1948 Mrs S B Pearn took over. Although still run as the Regent cinema, the building was altered in 1949 for additional community use, known as Polean Pavilion. The alterations were made to allow stage plays to be shown, a large stage was added, resulting in the loss of seating, and the entrance was moved to the river side where a veranda was built overlooking the water. Films ceased around 1960.
In recent years it has become an indoor market on the ground floor and a new floor added for an amusement arcade above. An additional walkway bridge now accesses the upper storey above the foyer entrance.